The IUB is responsible for energy efficiency programs and energy efficiency plans of Iowa investor-owned utilities. Energy efficiency plans in Iowa address both electric and natural gas usage through a variety of programs that attempt to give all customers opportunities to participate.
To review the law that established Iowa Energy Efficiency, see Iowa Code chapter 476.6(13) and (15). Additionally, changes enacted during the 2019 Legislative session can be found in Senate File (SF) 638.
Rules that apply to Energy Efficiency can be found in the Utilities Division section of the Iowa Administrative Code 199 chapter 35.
For more information, contact Don Tormey at 515-725-7347 or email@example.com.
Investor-owned Utilities (IOUs) Energy Efficiency Program Overview
- Plans must be cost-effective, with five benefit-cost tests used to determine cost-effectiveness from the perspectives of the participating customers, the utility, the combination of the utility and customers, and the impact on utility rates.
- Plans must include programs for all types of customers.
- Plans must include an analysis of potential for energy efficiency, and must include performance standards in terms of energy and capacity savings.
- IOUs recover costs through an automatic rate pass-through, reconciled annually to prevent over-recovery or under-recovery.
- The IUB is authorized to conduct prudence reviews of IOU energy efficiency, with authority to disallow imprudent costs.
Investor-owned utilities offer many energy efficiency programs. The IOUs’ plans include programs based on proven strategies and pilot programs which test new methods of helping customers reduce energy consumption. Programs typically target customer classes or subgroups of customers, and often provide rebates or loans for energy efficient equipment or building components. To find out which programs are currently underway for various types of customers, and what customer incentives may be available, go to the websites of the IOUs as follows:
For more information, contact:
Iowa Utility Association: Chaz Allen - 515-282-2115
Energy Efficiency Dockets in EFS
The most recently approved Energy Efficiency Plans, and new plans to be reviewed for 2024-2028, may be found by searching EFS at the docket links shown in the table.
Earlier documents are available in EFS; however, filings prior to 2009 are unavailable electronically and may be requested through IUB Customer Service. Call 515-725-7337 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Company Name||Docket Number|
|2024–2028 Plans||In process|
|2019–2023 Approved Plans|
|MidAmerican Energy Company||EEP-2018-0002|
|Interstate Power & Light Company, an Alliant Energy Company||EEP-2018-0003|
|Black Hills/Iowa Gas Utility Company, LLC d/b/a Black Hills Energy||EEP-2018-0004|
|Liberty Energy (Midstates) Corporation||EEP-2018-0005|