All public utilities subject to Iowa Code chapter 476 are required to file an annual report by April 1 that covers operations for the immediately preceding calendar year. Annual reports covering calendar year 2023 are to be filed in IUB 24/7, where companies will also review and edit their company profile and attest the information is up-to-date. See 199 Iowa Administrative Code (IAC) 23.1(2) for more information on filing requirements.
NOTE: 2023 Annual Report forms are now available; see below.
Gas, electric, and water utilities, and competitive natural gas pipeline companies:
If your company record has already been created in IUB 24/7, log in to your company profile to complete your utility annual report by clicking the link to your company profile, scrolling down, and selecting Edit on the annual report.
In IUB 24/7, log in and update your company record by entering information in the Annual Registration and Reporting of Revenues and the Dual Party Relay Service (DPRS) assessment sections and confirming your company contacts. Telecommunications companies new Iowa that have not yet created a company record in IUB 24/7 should visit Telecom for IUB 24/7 Common Questions.
Annual report requirements - Rate-regulated utilities
- Electric utilities - IE-1 Part A will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile. The Form IE-1 Part B (Word) and FERC Form 1 (PDF) will need to be attached within your Part A submission.
- Gas utilities - IG-1 Part A will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile. The Form IG-1 Part B (Word) and FERC Form 2 (PDF) will need to be attached within your part A submission.
- Water utilities - Form WA-1 Part A will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile. The Form WA-1 Part B (Word) will need to be attached within your Part A submission.
Annual report requirements - Non-rate-regulated utilities
- Municipally owned electric utilities - Form ME-1 will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile. The EIA-860 and/or EIA-923 forms, if needed, will be attached within your ME-1 submission.
- Municipally owned gas utilities - Form MG-1 will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile.
- Non-rate-regulated rural electric cooperatives - Form EC-1 will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile.
- Certified natural gas providers - Form CNGP-1 will be completed in IUB 24/7 in your company profile. A CNGP may designate as confidential those portions of the annual report relating to financial records, number of customers, and volumes; however, the CNGP may not designate as confidential its aggregate sales volume nor its annual gross operating revenues.
- Telecommunications service providers - Telecommunications companies will not have an annual report form separate from their IUB 24/7 company record. The IUB 24/7 company record contains spaces to input annual report information. DPRS information will be reported annually through the IUB 24/7 company profile.
- Generation and transmission companies: The Form EC-1N is no longer required. You must still submit your company record in IUB 24/7 and update it at least annually to ensure the contact information is current.
NOTE: Do not use or submit old annual report forms for annual reports in EFS. Your company regulatory contact listed in IUB 24/7 should have received notification with information regarding how to submit your company’s 2022 annual report using IUB 24/7.
Once the annual report is submitted in IUB 24/7 and a review of the report is completed, your report is shown as Accepted in the Company Record.
How to find your company number
The IUB has assigned a company number to each company in its database. To find that company number, run a Company Search from the IUB’s electronic filing system. On the Company Search page, fill in the company name and click on search. If you are not sure how the company name appears in the IUB database, you may search by industry type to get a list of all the companies in that industry. If the search results return more than one company, click on Summary next to your company. The company summary page will include the company number as part of the information about the company.
For more information, contact the IUB at ITsupport@iub.iowa.gov or 877-565-4450.