As required under 199 IAC 23.1(2), each public utility subject to Iowa Code chapter 476 shall file with this board, on or before April 1 of each year, an annual report as described in these rules and covering operations during the immediately preceding calendar year. If a utility ceases operations through merger or sale of its plant during the calendar year, each utility involved in the transaction shall separately file, within 90 days after the merger or sale, an annual report covering the portion of the calendar year operations to the date of sale or merger.
Pursuant to 199 IAC 23.1(3), all pages of the report must be completed and submitted to the Iowa Utilities Board. The words "none" or "not applicable" may be used to complete a schedule when they accurately and fully state the facts. All reports are to be prepared for and certified to the Iowa Utilities Board. It will be greatly appreciated if you follow these simple requests:
- Please use your complete company name and company number.
- If a consultant prepares your report, provide the utility company’s contact and address, not the consultant’s. A consultant must submit a separate filing for each utility company for whom they prepare an annual report.
- Do not request confidentiality for revenues. Total gross revenues of a utility cannot be protected from public inspection since they must be released as part of the assessment of the Board as required by Iowa Code § 476.10.
- Requests for access lines to remain confidential must be completed per 199 IAC 1.9(6).
The entire annual report is to be filed electronically with the Iowa Utilities Board. To submit an annual report filing or to register for a user account, please visit the EFS home page.
New annual report forms for calendar year 2017 are now available. Please do not attempt to complete the forms online - all forms must be downloaded to your computer to be saved. Thank you for your patience.
Annual report requirements - Rate-regulated utilities
- Electric utilities - Form IE-1 Part A (PDF), Form IE-1 Part B (Word) and FERC Form 1 (PDF)
- Rate-regulated rural electric cooperatives - Form EC-1 Part A (PDF) and Form EC-1 Part B (Excel)
- Gas utilities - Form IG-1 Part A (PDF), Form IG-1 Part B (Word) and FERC Form 2
- Water utilities - Form WA-1 Part A (PDF) and Form WA-1 Part B (Word)
Annual report requirements - Nonrate-regulated utilities
- Municipally owned electric utilities - Form ME-1 Part A (PDF) and Form ME-1 Part B (Excel)
- Municipally owned gas utilities - Form MG-1 (PDF)
- Non-rate-regulated rural electric cooperatives - Form EC-1 Part A (PDF) and Form EC-1 Part B (Excel)
- Generation and Transmission Cooperatives and Agencies - Form EC-1N (Excel)
- Certified Natural Gas Providers - Form CNGP-1 (PDF)
- Local Exchange Carriers - Telephone Utility Annual Report for LECs (PDF)
- Interexchange Carriers - Telephone Utility Annual Report for IXCs (PDF)
All filings are officially filed with the Board upon acceptance by the Records and Information Center. Company contact information and e-mail address must be up-to-date.
How to find your company number
The Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) has assigned a company number to each company in its database. To find that company number, run a Company Search from the Board’s Electronic Filing System. On the Company Search page, fill in the company name and click on search. If you are not sure how the company name appears in the IUB database, you may search by industry type to get a list of all the companies in that industry. If the search results return more than one company, click on Summary next to your company. The company summary page will include the company number as part of the information about the company.
If the search doesn’t return information about your company, contact the EFS Help Desk at 515.725.7337.
For more information about filing electronically: