Information about Electric Franchises
The IUB's Safety and Engineering Section is responsible for reviewing and processing all petitions for electric transmission line franchises under Iowa Code chapter 478, Electric Transmission Lines, and IUB rules at 199 Iowa Administrative Code chapter 11, Electric Lines, and chapter 25, Iowa Electrical Safety Code. A franchise is the authorization of the IUB for the construction, erection, maintenance, and operation of an electric transmission line. The granting of a franchise requires a finding by the IUB that the project is necessary to serve a public use, represents a reasonable relationship to an overall plan of transmitting electricity in the public interest, and meets all other legal requirements.
Electric Franchise Forms
- Petition - Updated March 2022
- Amended Petition - Updated March 2022
- Abbreviated Petition - Updated March 2022
- Extension of Franchise - Updated March 2022
- Exhibit C - Instructions - Updated July 2019
- Exhibit C - Overhead Transmission Line - Updated June 2020
- Exhibit C - Underground Transmission Line - August 2018
- Exhibit C - Underground Bipolar HVDC Transmission Line - New June 2020
- Exhibit C Instructions - Underground Bipolar HVDC Transmission Line - New June 2020
- Exhibit C - Overhead Bipolar HVDC Transmission Line - September 2014
- Electric Transmission Line Franchise Process
- IUB Electric Transmission Lines Informational Meeting Handout (PDF) - August 2021
- IUB Informational Meeting PowerPoint Presentation - December 2020
- File Written Comments, Objections or Letters of Support in an Open Docket
- Instructions for Filing an Objection, Letter of Support or Comments (PDF) - Revised June 2022
- Iowa Code chapter 478
- Attorney General's Office - Statement of Property Owners Rights
- Frequently Asked Questions on Eminent Domain - September 2021
One Call Underground Locate Service, Damage Prevention, One Call Complaints and Violation Enforcement by the Attorney General
To avoid a potential accident caused by excavation, have the location of all utility lines marked before excavating by hand or with equipment. To comply with Iowa law, in accordance with Iowa Code chapter 480, Underground Facilities Information, you must contact Iowa One Call at 811 or 800.292.8989 a minimum of two days (excluding Saturday, Sunday and state holidays) before excavation begins. If a contractor is performing the excavation work, make sure the contractor calls Iowa One Call two days prior to excavating and the utilities have been marked before digging begins.
After Iowa One Call is contacted, the following will happen:
- Operators with underground facilities in the area where the excavation is planned are notified. This includes natural gas and power utilities, communications companies, and cities and towns.
- Within 48 hours after being contacted, utility companies either mark their underground facilities with color-coded paint marks or flags, or tell the excavator they have no lines in the area.
Visit the Iowa One Call website for more information about damage prevention and Iowa One Call.
Searching for Electric Franchise Filings
All public filings and IUB orders regarding electric franchise filings (E-dockets) are available on the IUB's electronic filing system (EFS). To search for documents related to franchise petitions, click the EFS link, select Search from the top navigation menu, and scroll down to Document Search. This will open a document search screen. Enter the docket number (E-XXXXX) relating to the electric franchise for which you would like more information and click the Search button. This will provide a list of all documents filed online with the IUB in that proceeding.
If you do not know the specific docket number, you must do a docket search to determine the docket number. To start, click the EFS link, select Search from the top navigation menu and scroll down to Docket Search. This will open a docket search screen. Select E - Electric Franchise or Extension from the Docket Type drop-down box and then select the company name from the Primary Company drop-down box. Be sure to click the Add button to add the company to the search parameters. After entering the search terms, click the Search button to display a list of all E-dockets for that company. To narrow the search to a particular county, include the county name in the Docket Description field, surrounded by the percent sign (%) as a wild card character.
Franchise records can be found by performing a Franchise Search in EFS under the Search dropdown menu. Franchise records provide specific information about the franchise, including the docket where the franchise was issued, primary company, issue and expiration dates, line voltage information, and more.
Electric Franchise Information Contact:
Safety & Engineering Manager
Iowa Utilities Board
Media Inquiries Contact:
Director of Communications
Iowa Utilities Board