Public Informational Meetings on the Proposed Summit Carbon Pipeline
Meetings to inform landowners about the proposed project
(Des Moines) – On August 12, 2021, the Iowa Utilities Board issued a letter approving the locations, dates, and times for a series of public informational meetings to inform landowners about a proposed carbon dioxide pipeline in Iowa by Summit Carbon Solutions, LLC.
Summit Carbon refers to the proposed carbon capture and storage project in Iowa and four other states as the Midwest Carbon Express. The project proposes to partner with a number of ethanol plants in the five states to capture carbon dioxide emissions and transport the liquefied carbon dioxide to North Dakota where they will be stored in “deep underground geologic storage locations.”
Under Iowa Code chapter 479B, the pipeline company is required to hold informational meetings in each county in which real property or property rights would be affected, and the meetings are to be conducted at least 30 days prior to the company filing a petition for a new pipeline permit. The pipeline company will provide notice of the informational meetings to each landowner affected by the proposed pipeline and each person in possession of or residing on the property.
The IUB has scheduled the following in-person public informational meetings, plus one virtual meeting:
- Hardin County – September 13, noon, Timbers Edge, 19493 Co Hwy S56, Steamboat Rock
- Story County – September 13, 6 p.m., Gateway Hotel & Conference Center, 2100 Green Hills Drive, Ames
- Lyon County – September 15, noon, Rock Rapids Community Center, 404 First Ave, Rock Rapids
- Sioux County – September 15, 6 p.m., Terrace View, 230 St. Andrews Way, Sioux Center
- Plymouth County – September 16, noon, Le Mars Convention Center (lower level), 275 12th St SE, Le Mars
- Woodbury County – September 16, 6 p.m., Sioux City Convention Center, Meeting Rooms A & B, 801 Fourth St, Sioux City
- Cerro Gordo County – September 20, 1:30 p.m., NIACC – Beem Center, 500 College Drive, Mason City
- Floyd County – September 20, 6 p.m., Floyd Community Center, 706 Fairfield St, Floyd
- O’Brien County – September 22, noon, Sheldon Community Center, 416 Ninth St, Sheldon
- Cherokee County – September 22, 6 p.m., Cherokee Community Center, 530 W. Bluff St, Cherokee
- Dickinson County – September 23, noon, Dickinson County Community Center, 1602 15th St, Spirit Lake
- Emmet County – September 23, 5:30 p.m., Regional Wellness Center, 415 S 18th St, Estherville
- Palo Alto County – September 27, 12:30 p.m., Iowa Lakes Community College, 3200 College Drive, Emmetsburg
- Kossuth County – September 27, 6 p.m., Eagle Center Banquet, 401 Smith St, Lakota
- Hancock County – September 28, 1 p.m., Viaduct Center, 255 US Hwy 69 S, Garner
- Chickasaw County – September 29, 1 p.m., Chickasaw Event Center, 301 N. Water Ave, New Hampton
- Boone County – October 4, noon, Boone County Historical Society, 602 Story St, Boone
- Greene County – October 4, 5 p.m., Jefferson High School, 1901 N Grimmell Road, Jefferson
- Ida County – October 5, noon, Cobblestone Inn & Suites, 2011 Indorf Ave, Holstein
- Crawford County – October 5, 6 p.m., Memorial Hall, 550 Main St, Manilla
- Shelby County – October 6, noon, Therkildsen Activity Center, 706 Victoria St, Harlan
- Pottawattamie County – October 6, 6 p.m., Impact Hill, 501 Oakland Ave, Oakland
- Clay County – October 8, noon, Clay County Fairground, 800 W 18th St, Spencer
- Mills County – October 11, noon, Lakin Community Center, 61321 315th St, Malvern
- Fremont County – October 11, 6 p.m., The Waterfalls, 907 Hartford Ave, Farragut
- VIRTUAL Meeting – October 12, 5:30 p.m., Iowa Utilities Board, 1375. E. Court Ave, Des Moines (Register to attend.)
- Wright County – October 13, noon, Heartland Museum, 119 SW Ninth St, Clarion
- Franklin County – October 13, 5 p.m., Maynes Grove Lodge, 946 US Hwy 65, Hampton
- Page County – October 14, noon, Shenandoah Public Library, 201 S Elm St, Shenandoah
- Montgomery County – October 14, 6 p.m., Montgomery County Ag Society Gold Building, 1809 N Fourth St, Red Oak
- Hamilton County – October 15, 12:30 p.m., All Cultures Equal, 1440 E Second St, Webster City
- Webster County – October 15, 6 p.m., Best Western Starlite Village, 1518 Third Ave NW, Fort Dodge
- ADDED: Page County – October 22, noon, Shenandoah Public Library, 201 S Elm St, Shenandoah
The October 12 virtual meeting will be conducted from the IUB’s Hearing Room. Registration, via the link above, is required for remote access.
Written comments or objections to the proposed pipeline can be filed electronically using the IUB’s Open Docket Comment Form, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by postal mail to the Iowa Utilities Board, Attn: Docket No. HLP-2021-0001, 1375 E. Court Ave., Des Moines, IA 50319.
To review documents filed in this docket, click on Docket No. HLP-2021-0001 to visit the IUB’s electronic filing system (EFS). For assistance with electronic filing of comments, visit How to Make a Filing with the Board or call the IUB IT Support team at (515) 725-7337.
For more information about hazardous liquid pipelines, visit the IUB’s Hazardous Liquid Pipeline Permits webpage.