Customer Comment Meetings Set in Black Hills Natural Gas Rate Case
Eight consumer comment meetings to begin in September 2021
(Des Moines) – The Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) issued an order on May 14, 2021, approving the proposed non-standard customer notices filed by Black Hills Energy (Black Hills) and establishing eight consumer comment meetings regarding Black Hills' planned application to increase its customer natural gas utility rates and charges. Information and frequently asked questions about this rate case are available on the IUB website at iub.iowa.gov.
On April 15, 2021, Black Hills filed an application with the IUB for approval of a non-standard notice and a proposed customer notice of rate increase in Docket No. RPU-2021-0002. Black Hills also stated it plans to file an application for an increase in its retail natural gas rates on or about June 1, 2021, under Iowa Code 476.6. The approved customer notice states Black Hills is requesting a temporary rate increase to be effective June 11, 2021. Under Iowa law, temporary rates may be collected from Black Hills customers and are subject to refund, with interest, if the rates collected are higher than final rates approved by the IUB, or if the IUB determines the interim rates were not based on previously established regulatory principles.
Black Hills serves approximately 160,000 customers in Iowa.
The IUB has scheduled seven in-person and one virtual consumer comment meetings throughout Black Hills’ Iowa natural gas service territory for Black Hills customers to express their views about the upcoming rate case and the general quality of service provided. The comment meetings are scheduled as follows:
- Council Bluffs, Iowa – 1:30 p.m. September 14, 2021, Council Bluffs Public Library, 400 Willow St.
- Newton, Iowa – 1:30 p.m. September 21, 2021, DMACC Newton Campus, 600 N. Second Ave.
- Ogden, Iowa – 6:30 p.m. September 21, 2021, Leonard Good Community Center, 114 S.W. Eighth St.
- Lake Mills, Iowa – 6 p.m. September 28, 2021, Lake Mills Civic Center, 227 W. Main St.
- Decorah, Iowa – 5:30 p.m. September 29, 2021, Hotel Winneshiek, 104 E. Water St.
- Dubuque, Iowa – 5 p.m. September 30, 2021, Dubuque Carnegie-Stout Library, Aigler Auditorium, 360 W. 11th St.
- Spencer, Iowa – 5:30 p.m. October 7, 2021, Clay County Event Center, 800 W.18th St.
- Virtual Only – 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. October 12, 2021. For those unable to attend the in-person comment meetings, information regarding how to register in advance will be available on the hearing and meeting calendar webpage.
Any comments made during a public hearing become part of the permanent case record. The IUB is also accepting written comments in this rate case, with the most effective comments making specific points supporting or objecting to the rate request. Customers may provide comments using the IUB open docket comment form, by email to email@example.com, or by postal mail to the Iowa Utilities Board, Docket No. RPU- 2021-0002, 1375 E. Court Ave., Des Moines, IA 50319.
To review the documents in this rate case, click this docket link, RPU-2021-0002, to visit the IUB’s electronic filing system (EFS). For assistance with electronic filing of comments, see the webpage How to Make a Filing with the Board or call the IUB IT support team at (515) 725-7337.