Hearing Canceled for Alliant Energy's Proposed Natural Gas Rate Increase
An evidentiary hearing on Alliant Energy's proposed natural gas rate increase, scheduled for November 4-5, 2019, has been canceled following the filing of a unanimous settlement agreement among parties involved in the case, Docket No. RPU-2019-0002. The IUB issued an order on October 31, 2019, granting the parties' joint motion to cancel the hearing, subject to review of the settlement.
The Board will meet at 9 a.m. Monday, November 4, to hold a vote to go into closed session for deliberations on the natural gas rate case.
The IUB conducted a hearing for Alliant's electric rate increase, Docket No. RPU-2019-0001, on October 7-9, 2019. The IUB will issue separate decisions in each docket upon completion of its review of each case.
Alliant-IPL on March 1, 2019, filed its applications proposing to increase retail electric and natural gas rates for customers in seven classes. The rate requests include an increase of 24.45 percent to the base rate for residential electric customers and 25 percent to the base rate for residential gas customers beginning in 2020. Base rates account for approximately 66 percent of a residential electric bill and 44 percent of a natural gas bill.
The company also implemented an interim electric rate increase of nearly $89.9 million among all classes, or approximately 5.5 percent, on April 1, 2019.
- Interest Rate Applied to Refunds - If the IUB finds at the conclusion of a rate case that a public utility's interim rates were not based on previously established regulatory principles or were in excess of final rates approved by the IUB, refund amounts will be determined by the most recent average quarterly rate on 24-month consumer loans, plus 2 percent per annum. See Iowa Code § 476.6(9)(c) (2017).
The IUB held ten public comment meetings in April and May regarding the rate requests. The meetings, held throughout Alliant's Iowa service territory, provided an opportunity for Alliant customers to express their views about the proposed rate increases and to comment on the overall quality of Alliant’s service. Representatives of Alliant, the IUB, and the Office of Consumer Advocate (OCA) were present at the meetings to hear public comments and answer questions. The OCA represents the general interests of customers in all IUB proceedings.
Review the IUB public information handout distributed at all customer comment meetings.
The 10 public comment meetings were held at the locations listed below. Several meeting venues provided an option for customers to participate remotely via an online webinar or watch live-streaming video.
- Creston: 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 11, at Southwest Community College, Instructional Center, 1501 W. Townline St.
- Marshalltown: 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at Iowa Valley Education Center, 3702 S. Center St.
- Storm Lake: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Buena Vista University, Estelle Siebens Science Center, 610 W. 4th St. webinar
- Mason City: 11:30 a.m. Thursday, May 2, at the Historic Park Inn, 7 W. State St. webinar
- Decorah: 6 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at the Hotel Winneshiek, 104 E. Water St.
- Ottumwa: 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 8, at the Bridge View Center, 102 Church St. webinar; live-streaming
- West Burlington: 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 22, at Southeastern Community College, Building 300, 1500 W. Agency Road. webinar; live-streaming
- Clinton: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, at Clinton Community College, Tech Center, 1951 Manufacturing Drive. webinar only
- Dubuque: 11:30 a.m. Thursday, May 23, at the Hotel Julien, 200 Main St. webinar, live-streaming
- Cedar Rapids: 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at Kirkwood Community College, Ballantyne Auditorium, Iowa Hall, 6965 Tower Road SW. webinar, live-streaming
As required by the IUB's July 17 order, Alliant Energy-IPL filed answers on August 2 to a list of IUB comment meeting questions including a separate response regarding the City of Decorah, Iowa, Municipalization Preliminary Feasibility Study. The IUB's list of unanswered questions was gathered at the ten public customer comment meetings conducted by the IUB during April and May 2019.
Complete information on the rate increase requests may be viewed in the IUB's electronic filing system (EFS) under Docket No. RPU-2019-0001 (electric) and RPU-2019-0002 (natural gas). Customers also can read FAQs related to the dockets or file written comments online.
All comments provided at the public meetings, or submitted in writing to the Board, will become part of the permanent record in the rate cases. Written comments may be filed by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by postal mail to: Iowa Utilities Board, Docket No. RPU-2019-0001 or RPU-2019-0002, 1375 E. Court Ave., Des Moines, IA 50319-0069.
Alliant Energy-Interstate Power and Light Company provides electric service to approximately 490,000 customers and natural gas service to approximately 220,000 customers in Iowa.