On February 2, 2018, the Board issued a final decision and order, which approves a settlement agreement allowing Alliant Energy–Interstate Power & Light Company, to increase its customer electric rates. The order also requires Alliant to file new compliance and pilot tariffs, stakeholder and grid modernization plans, approves Alliant’s agreement to provide an independent review of its customer billing accuracy, and several periodic information filings regarding Alliant’s proposals.
Alliant Energy-Interstate Power & Light Company filed an application with the Board requesting an increase in its retail electric customer rates and charges, Docket No. RPU-2017-0001. Under Board rule 199 IAC 26.9, the Board held eight public comment meetings in Alliant-IPL's Iowa service territory. See public information handout.
These customer comment meetings provided Alliant-IPL customers an opportunity to express their views about the rate case and the general quality of service provided by Alliant-IPL. See news release.
The public customer comment meetings were held at the following locations and dates:
- Ottumwa - Tuesday, May 23, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Bridgeview Center Conference Room, 102 Church Street
- Osceola - Wednesday, May 24, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Clarke High School Auditorium, 800 N. Jackson Street
- Mason City - Thursday, May 25, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Muse-Norris Conference Center on the North Iowa Community College Campus, 500 College Drive
- Peosta – Tuesday, May 30, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Peosta Community Centre, 7896 Burds Road
- Spencer - Wednesday, May 31, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Spencer Area Activity Center, 104 East 4th Street
- Cedar Rapids - Thursday, June 1, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Iowa Hall, Rooms 316A and 316B on the Kirkwood Community College Campus, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW
- Marshalltown - Tuesday, June 6, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in the Orpheum Theatre on the Iowa Valley Community College Campus, 220 E. Main Street
- Fort Madison - Thursday, June 8, 2017, at 5:30 p.m., in McAleer Hall at Holy Family Parish, 415 11th Street
All commenters provided a first and last name, city or town of residence, and all their comments were transcribed by a court reporter for the permanent record in this rate case. The transcripts from these public meetings, and all documents filed in this proposed rate case, are available for review in the Board's electronic filing system by searching under Docket No. RPU-2017-0001 and by clicking the "Documents" tab, then "View" next to each filing.
Alliant-IPL requested a permanent annual revenue increase of approximately $176 million or 11.6 percent, with a final average monthly residential bill increase of $14.26 or 12.5 percent, which will vary by customer usage. Under Iowa law, Alliant-IPL implemented a temporary rate increase on April 13, 2017, for a $9.47 or 8.3 percent residential monthly bill increase, while the Board’s decision on permanent rates are pending. The temporary rates collected are subject to refund with interest if the temporary rates are higher than final rates approved by the Board.