Other Consumer Information
The links below lead to other state and federal agency websites that provide assistance to consumers. The websites are not maintained by the Iowa Utilities Board.
- Office of Consumer Advocate (OCA) - The OCA investigates the legality of rates and practices of all utility companies subject to the regulatory oversight of the IUB and represents consumers and the public generally before state and federal agencies concerning those matters.
- Consumer Protection Division, Iowa Attorney General - Helpful information about consumer protection issues including consumer fraud, credit and consumer contracts.
- Federal Trade Commission - Helpful information from the federal agency most directly involved in consumer protections.
- Federal Communications Commission - Helpful information on cell phone and other telephone issues not under the regulatory oversight of the IUB.
- Federal Reserve - Regarding interest rates applied to utility refunds, if the IUB finds at the conclusion of a rate case that a public utility's interim rates were not based on previously established regulatory principles or were in excess of final rates approved by the IUB, refund amounts will be determined by the most recent average quarterly rate on 24-month consumer loans, plus 2 percent per annum, as determined by the Federal Reserve and available on its website. See Iowa Code
§ 476.6(9)(c) (2022).